My TKR was 12 days ago and overall I think am doing very well. Believe it or not, I had NO pain in the hospital but only spent one night there. My surgeon is famous for some "joint juice" he leaves in there to block pain. First few days home were controlled by taking 2 hydrocodone around the clock - even set the alarm for every 4 hours. I have a cpm and an ice machine and have been doing therapy once a week with a therapist and the other days by myself.
My knee of course feels better if I stay highly medicated but I felt like a zombie so I am trying to find the best way to cut back. How did others handle this? Right now I take 2 to go to sleep and wake up 6- 8 hours later hurting. Then I take one pill, no more frequently than every 4 hours throughout the day, but trying to stretch it out to 6 hours as tolerated. It gets pretty sore but I give in before it is really painful. Is there a better way to do this? What would the next step be? I am also taking Cellebrex once a day in the morning. My doctor gave me enough hydrocodone to last about 10 more days at this rate, but I don't know if I want to ask for more nor whether he would allow that.
Biggest problem is an occasional spasm where my entire leg seizes up like a giant Charlie horse and will not let go. It lasts a long time and makes me shake all over. Later I am stiff and tight and regress a whole lot - need the walker again, less flexibility etc. - for a day or two at least. Both times this happened I had fallen asleep with the ice machine on - so I was both immobile and cold.
I have no heating pad but I heated several towels in the dryer to wrap my whole leg in; and that plus some gentle stretching/moving and a pain pill gradually released the cramp. I had been told not to use heat at this time in my recovery, but it felt too good to be the wrong thing. Now I am a little afraid of that ice machine. Any suggestions?
Random suggestion for others about to get this surgery: I live alone and was worried about carrying ice and water to my ice machine and other chores. My brother went to the drugstore and bought this tray that fits over the top of my walker to carry whatever I need from room to room. (Think ice machine, laundry, dinner ) I also hung a small tote over the side to hold my glasses, Kleenex, lip balm, pen. Even though I don't need the walker to walk most of the time I keep it near me to hold my drink, cell phone, a little notebook to record what time I took my meds, etc. It is like a little mobile TV tray.
If you live alone stock up on tv dinners and toilet paper and keep some cash on hand. Then ask a couple of neighbors to call you when they are going to the grocery store. If you keep an ongoing list of what you need you will be ready when they call and can pay them with cash when they drop off your supplies.
I am optimistic and glad I had this procedure and particularly glad I chose the doctor I did.
My knee of course feels better if I stay highly medicated but I felt like a zombie so I am trying to find the best way to cut back. How did others handle this? Right now I take 2 to go to sleep and wake up 6- 8 hours later hurting. Then I take one pill, no more frequently than every 4 hours throughout the day, but trying to stretch it out to 6 hours as tolerated. It gets pretty sore but I give in before it is really painful. Is there a better way to do this? What would the next step be? I am also taking Cellebrex once a day in the morning. My doctor gave me enough hydrocodone to last about 10 more days at this rate, but I don't know if I want to ask for more nor whether he would allow that.
Biggest problem is an occasional spasm where my entire leg seizes up like a giant Charlie horse and will not let go. It lasts a long time and makes me shake all over. Later I am stiff and tight and regress a whole lot - need the walker again, less flexibility etc. - for a day or two at least. Both times this happened I had fallen asleep with the ice machine on - so I was both immobile and cold.
I have no heating pad but I heated several towels in the dryer to wrap my whole leg in; and that plus some gentle stretching/moving and a pain pill gradually released the cramp. I had been told not to use heat at this time in my recovery, but it felt too good to be the wrong thing. Now I am a little afraid of that ice machine. Any suggestions?
Random suggestion for others about to get this surgery: I live alone and was worried about carrying ice and water to my ice machine and other chores. My brother went to the drugstore and bought this tray that fits over the top of my walker to carry whatever I need from room to room. (Think ice machine, laundry, dinner ) I also hung a small tote over the side to hold my glasses, Kleenex, lip balm, pen. Even though I don't need the walker to walk most of the time I keep it near me to hold my drink, cell phone, a little notebook to record what time I took my meds, etc. It is like a little mobile TV tray.
If you live alone stock up on tv dinners and toilet paper and keep some cash on hand. Then ask a couple of neighbors to call you when they are going to the grocery store. If you keep an ongoing list of what you need you will be ready when they call and can pay them with cash when they drop off your supplies.
I am optimistic and glad I had this procedure and particularly glad I chose the doctor I did.
TKR little problems
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire